EEA and Norway Grants
Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and the Republic of Cyprus signed two Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) of funding in March 2019. Total allocation amounts to €11,5 million.
Funding period 2014 - 2021
Under the current funding period (2014-2021), support will be provided through the following programs:
- Local Development and Poverty Reduction, operated by the Directorate General for European Programs, Coordination and Development, acting as the NFP /Program Operator. The program agreement was signed on 29 June 2020. More information on the program
- Active Citizens Fund, a civil society program operated by the Financial Mechanism Office in Brussels. The program includes allocation to two pre-defined projects (Home for Cooperation and the Centre for Visual Arts) and NGO projects to be selected through the process of open calls.
- Social Dialogue – Decent Work, operated by Innovation Norway as an appointed Fund Operator.
- Fund for Bilateral Relations
Facts about the EEA and Norway Grants
- Under the EEA Agreement, Norway is part of the European internal market.
- The EEA Agreement sets out the common goal of working together to reduce social and economic disparities in Europe and to strengthen cooperation between European countries. Norway contributes to this through the EEA and Norway Grants.
- EUR 2.8 billion will be available under the grant scheme for the period 2014-2021, to be divided between 15 beneficiary countries. Norway provides some 98 % of this funding; the remainder is provided by Iceland and Liechtenstein.
- EUR 11,5 million is allocated to Cyprus. The agreement was signed 5 March 2019.
Previous funding periods - What has been achieved?
Cyprus has received funding since 2004. Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein are joining forces in this funding, with Norway contributing the majority of the funding. You can find more information on our work in Cyprus in this fact sheet on the EEA and Norway Grants.
A number of initiatives aimed at fostering bi-communal activities in Cyprus have been supported, including continued support for Home for Cooperation and the production of the film Birds of a Feather:
You can activate subtitles by clicking on the subtitles/texting button on the bottom right of the screen.
Below you will find an overview of what has been funded in the previous funding periods: