Travel and border information for Norway

Information in Norwegian / English

Residence permit

For nationals of other countries:

  • Nationals of EU/EEA countries do not need a residence permit to stay or work in Norway. However, all nationals of EU/EEA countries who want to stay for longer than three months must register with the police.
  • Nationals of non-EU/EEA countries who want to work in Norway or to stay for longer than 90 days need a residence permit.

The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) normally processes applications for a residence permit. 

The Norwegian authorities have no local official representation for immigration matters in the Cook Islands. All applications must instead be lodged at the VFS Global Joint Visa Application Centre in Auckland.

How to apply for a residence permit