Legalizations and translations

Legalization of Documents 

The Royal Norwegian Embassy cannot authenticate a document on behalf of a Norwegian Authority but can only legalize documents in conjunction with Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa. Please note that we can only legalize Canadian documents for use in Norway (such as birth certificates or marriage certificates). 

Documents must be legalized through Global Affairs Canada in Ottawa before they are sent to the Norwegian Embassy.

This procedure departs from the fact that (a) Canadian documents must be authenticated in Canada and (b) Canada is not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention (Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents).

Read more about the legalization process at the Global Affairs Canada here. Please note that a form should accompany the documents. 

If under time constraint, the Embassy recommends that the legalization is done in-person at Global Affairs Canada rather than sending the documents. 

Legalisation is free at Global Affairs Canada and they will send the documents further to the Embassy upon specific request.

The Embassy's legalization fee is CAD 40 per document  -  payment is accepted as money order or certified bank checks. Please include a pre-paid postage envelope with a return address (Express Post or courier).

You can also bring the documents to the Embassy in person. Please reach out ahead of time to make an appointment.

After the Embassy has legalized the documents we will send the documents as instructed.  

Do you have a Norwegian document you need legalized for use in Canada? This must be done in Norway. You can find information about this here.


Translation of Documents

Upon request, the Royal Norwegian Embassy provides unauthorized translations* of following original documents:

  • Birth certificates
  • Death certificates
  • Divorce certificate
  • Wedding certificates
  • Driver’s licenses
  • Notification of name change
  • Baptism certificate

Please note that if a 'certified translation' is needed, you should contact a translation bureau.

*The Embassy's translation fee is CAD 40 per document - payment is accepted as money order or certified bank checks. Please include a pre-paid postage envelope with a return address (Express Post or courier).

The Embassy does not provide any other translation services.