Before you apply
- You should apply well in advance and as a rule no later than 15 days before you plan to travel. Due to the courier sending of documents in some countries, we recommend that you apply at least 4 weeks prior to your planned departure.
- You may submit your application up to six months before your planned departure, or up to nine months for seafarers.
- We recommend that you do not buy your ticket until a visa has been granted.
- You must register your application online before you can hand in the required documentation.
- When you hand in your application, you will be asked to provide fingerprints, unless your fingerprints have been collected within the last 59 months.
- In order to apply from Australia, you must hold valid residency in Australia. Applications will in most cases not be processed for applicants who are here on a tourist or short stay visa.
- If you are travelling to more than one Schengen country, your application must be lodged with the embassy representing the country of your main destination.
- Once you have lodged an application, the Embassy will only correspond with you regarding your case using the email address you used when you registered your application online. Please ensure that you have access to this email and that you check it regularly, including the junk inbox, so you do not miss important updates or requests from the Embassy.
- If you wish to allow another person, including your reference person, to make enquiries or receive information on your behalf, you must provide a written Power of Attorney. The form for granting Power of Attorney is available for download on both VFS Global and UDI's websites. The Power of Attorney only applies to one specific case. The Embassy strongly recommends that you provide a Power of Attorney if you have any issues discussing your case in English or Norwegian.