Before you apply
- You should apply well in advance and as a rule no later than 15 days before you plan to travel. Due to the courier sending of documents in some countries, we recommend that you apply at least 4 weeks prior to your planned departure.
- You may submit your application up to six months before your planned departure, or up to nine months for seafarers.
- We recommend that you do not buy your ticket until a visa has been granted.
- You must register your application online before you can hand in the required documentation.
- When you hand in your application, you will be asked to provide fingerprints, unless your fingerprints have been collected within the last 59 months.
- Applicants who are neither nationals or residents of Australia must document that they are legally in Australia and must provide justification for lodging the application at one of the Norwegian application centers (VFS Global) in Australia. Applications will in most cases not be processed for applicants who are in Australia on a tourist or short stay visa.
- If you wish to allow another person, including your reference person, to make enquiries or receive information on your behalf, you must provide a written Power of Attorney. The form for granting Power of Attorney is available for download on UDI's website.
- A Schengen visa will generally not give the holder right to work in the Schengen area. This includes working remotely for an overseas employer. If travelling for business, it is the visa holder’s responsibility to ensure that the business conducted does not require a work permit.