Before you apply
- Personal numbers are assigned to all people registered in the National Population Register as being residents of Norway.
- They can also be assigned to Norwegian citizens living abroad in connection with issuance of a Norwegian passport. Applications for personal numbers for minors under the age of 10 must be lodged together with an application for passport. For persons aged 10 years and older, personal numbers must be obtained before a passport application can be lodged. Please note that this will require two visits to the embassy, one for each application. The same applies if the applicant will turn 10 before the application for personal number is finalised.
- A personal number cannot be assigned to Norwegian citizens living abroad solely for registration purposes.
- Before an application for personal number is lodged, the paternity of the applicant must be established and recognised in Norway. Please note that to be listed as the father on a foreign birth certificate is not sufficient. The embassy has made a flowchart showing which documentation must be presented when applying for a personal number.
- All enquiries about personal numbers should be addressed to the embassy in Canberra. The staff at the Norwegian consulates cannot be expected to answer enquiries about personal numbers.